20 February 2016

Garden Update February 2016

I have corn! It has been a difficult summer this year and I didn't think that I would have anything out of the garden this season but as of today I have four cobs.




And hopefully a few more before the cold weather starts.
The corn plants are very short compared to previous years, but as long as they produce I don't care.

The watermelon is finally putting on some growth and flowering, although I think it might be too late in the season for fruit, I will leave it until I need the bed and see what happens.


Tiny beans are forming on some of the bean plants.

But for the most part I have to say that I haven't been impressed with the beans at all. I had to sow four times before I got a good germination rate and once they did germinate a good percentage of them died. I don't think I will bother with them again, too much effort for too little reward.

Despite copious amounts of water and being regularly fertilised the cucumbers and zucchini are growing at a snail's pace and aren't much bigger than seedlings, I'm doubtful I will get any fruit from them.


Like the beans, I had to sow four lots of zucchini seeds to get one plant and I have never had much luck with cucumbers. Veggie gardening can be very frustrating sometimes.

There is the odd strawberry ripening,

the chillies are flowering again and I'm hoping to get a few more than the three I've previously harvested.

The tomatoes have also started to flower, better late than never.

All in all it has not been a very good summer and I am looking forward to the autumn/winter growing season, which I have already sown seed for and I'm hoping that it will be more bountiful than the summer garden was.



2 comments:

  1. Jan I wish I had half that much going on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you don't Fiona, isn't it the wet season now?

      Delete